Recently I have update by laptop BIOS software, upon rebooting I got one Windows Security Alert claiming that Windows Firewall has blocked some outgoing request of Akamai Netsession Interface Client. As I have never install any software name Akamai Netsession Client, I got little confuse and want to explore more of it.
So, the first question arise on my mind was “What is Akamai Netsession Interface and what is Akamai Client”?
Akamai Netsession Interface and Akamai Client is developed by Akamai Technologies, Inc. Akamai Technologies is an USA based company which is content delivery network (CDN) and cloud services provider. They are the largest distributing computing platforms and control nearly 30% of all web traffic.
Daniel M. Lewin and Tom Leighton founded this company in 1998. Their biggest competitors in this sector are Amazon CloudFront, ChinaCache, Cloudflare and EdgeCast Networks.
What is Akamai Netsession Interface?
Akamai Netsession Interface is an application which help in downloading data, media and video streams from the Internet. It is a tool that help your system to download faster and more reliable application form Internet. As Akamai Netsession work on CDN and cloud services, it is very fast as your file or data may come from different hosted servers.
How did Akamai Netsession Client get inside my PC?
Akamai Netsession client are used by many software’s, if you ever install those software, chances are Akamai Netsession got install through that. It is better to read whole end-user license agreement (EULA) when installing any software. We did not pay any importance to those long-written agreement and click on “I agree” button while installing any software.
How does Akamai Netsession Client work?
Akamai Netsession always work behind the scene and did not hog heavy ram portion. If we take an example of games which we play online. We can watch that those games have some files which gets keep on updating, irrespective of your play the game or it is idle. It did not need active game server to connect, it connect to storage pit that have all game database files.
As Akamai system works on cloud services, which means all the game databases are not stored in one place. They are distributed among different servers, and when you connect to the game server for playing, it will make sure that you connect to fastest server depending on your location.
Thus, in null set we can explain that Akamai Netsession client are used by many software and media publisher who uses this platform to deliver files or streams to your system.
Features of Akamai Netsession Interface
As per official website Akamai Netsession got these features which makes it unique form others:
- It is small software which helps your system to deliver faster, reliable and secure downloads.
- This Software connects to Akamai’s Global server network which constantly help companies and their customer fast and secure downloads.
- Software supports SSL security and is extremely secure when it comes to data transfer.
- It does not gather any personal information during transmission.
Should we remove Akamai Netsession client Interface for security?
Depending on your personal choice you can keep or uninstall Akamai Netsession client from your system. Akamai Netsession is not a windows or mac essential file which if not present will hamper your system. It is just being consider as small software which is used to boost your streams and downloads. If you still think it is harmful software, you need to know this fact:
- It is not spyware or malware which can compromise your system.
- Not a security threat to your computer or system files
- Software did not share your personal data to anyone
- Many programs use this software for updating patch
How to Stop Akamai Netsession?
You can stop Akamai Netsession software temporarily. You can follow these steps to stop it temporary.
- Open Control Panel in windows or in MAC you can open System Preferences
- Click on preferences tab in both windows and MAC
- Under Service section, find Akamai and click the stop button.
- You are done, your Akamai Netsession will not stop functioning.
How to uninstall Akamai Netsession?
Depending on your preference you can uninstall Netsession form your system. Follow these steps to uninstall Akamai Netsession from your system.
Steps to Uninstall Akamai Netsession in Windows
- In windows, open Control Panel and Click on Uninstall a Program
- Select the Akamai Netsession Interface
- Click uninstall and click on Yes
- Congratulation Akamai Netsession is removed from your system.
Steps to uninstall form MAC
- Open finder in your MAC PC and locate ~/Applications/Akamai
- Move the Akamai Folder/File in to the trash.
- You are done Akamai Netsession is not uninstall form your MAC PC.
How to find if Akamai Netsession client is already present in your system?
You can follow these steps to check if Akamai Netsession client is present in your system.
- You can check this by opening the services from windows control panel or MAC OS system preferences panel.
- On windows system you can open Control Panel via start menu or type Akamai Netsession in Cortana Search bar.
- On MAC OS X, locate Akamai extension icon under Other -> Akamai on the System Preferences pane.
Does Netsession Interface deliver content without my consent?
No, Akamai Interface did not deliver content without your consent. You can always trust for its security of data delivery. No harmful or unsolicited content will be deliver on your system by Akamai Interface software.
Does this software hog my upload or download speed?
Akamai Netsession software is developed in such a way that it runs in background and uses negligible amount of computer resources. If you are doing some uploading or downloading some files then software will detect the bottleneck and will stop using your bandwidth for some time.
It will resume it work after your job is over and system resume to idle state. But if you notice reduce in download speed performance, you can safely pause or disable the Netsession upload from your system.
After going to all the technical aspect, we conclude that Akamai Netsession is safe software. But it is your personal choice to keep or uninstall this software from your system. We hope you like this post on Akamai Netsession client. Share this article with your friends if they also face some issue regarding to Akamai Netsession clients.